Monday, June 21, 2010

The Rules of Sports and Important Sporting Events

In the spirit of all that is good in this world, this week I have decided to post an early message to all six of my readers - if there are more out there in the ether please feel free to follow. On this, the tenth day of the World Cup in South Africa, the heavens parted and a light had fallen on the field as two of my favourite teams played. Yes, it is true, today both Portugal and Spain won their respective matches, and in spectacular fashion might I add. Portugal slaughtered the Korean DPR, or to those of you who may not know that is NORTH KOREA. The score in that game was 7-0 and here is the link to that : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0JahzL_ebU .

And here are the exceptional highlights for the Spain vs Honduras game :
http://www.youtube.com/user/cbc2010fifaworldcup#p/a/u/0/6Fa84YiS6Ps

Let me put it this way, David Villa is MONEY. My picks for this year are simple : Spain, Argentina, and Portugal. I choose not to cheer on Brazil in any game against these three teams because I actually like these three teams. In reality my favourite teams are those three, Germany, and the Netherlands, but since I cannot cheer for all five teams in every conceivable game the aforementioned three are my top choices.

I love the world cup, nothing compares in excitement, unless of course you watched the NBA finals this year. And so we turn to the rules of the game this week, ultimately these rules are directed more towards the female readers because well from a male perspective (and trust me I am not trying to be sexist) our women need some help understanding the importance of certain sporting events. That is truly a generalization, but it is one that must be made for the purpose of this post. Ladies, your men do NOT need excuses to tune you out during important games, and no I am not saying each and every game is important, because that's a lie. But, the NBA finals for instance this year were insane, and yes we have the right to ignore you for the length of that game, if you so choose to sit with us and watch, then please respect the game and do not complain about how "boring" it may be for you. We do not care. As far as the world cup goes: this comes around once every four years, and this year, at least in Canada, we have one channel that is showing each game. So, please forgive us for our inability to turn away from the screen when  you're talking to us; chances are that for the next four years we will listen to you enough to make up for this one month of absolute bliss.

Finally, we DO NOT care who you think is good looking, do NOT ruin this for us.
Oh and just as an aside, the referee's this year are on crack, here are my complaints thus far:
1) Kaka (Brazil) should not have been red carded in the last game, that was a BS call, and one clear reason why the teams should have the right to invoke live replay at least once or twice a game.
2) Brazil's second goal (I believe) should not have counted, that was obvious handling of the ball - officials SHOULD have seen this.
3) USA's third goal SHOULD have counted, the ref should be slapped at the very least, and the U.S. team should be boosted by a point as consolation.
4) Ronaldo (Portugal) has been fouled several times in the past couple of games, and I KNOW he dives but come on ref's eyes open please.
5) TURN THOSE FRIGGEN HORNS OFF. I'm drinking myself into a tizzy trying to tune them out.
6) Cheering for Italy just because you don't know better is annoying, stop it. In fact, the same goes for Brazil, just saying that you like Brazil for the World Cup makes you seem like you're just following the group. For instance : I want U.S.A to do well, not because I know many players on the team (I have read up on the team in general), and not because I think they will go all the way. The reason I like the U.S. team, even in the game against the U.K. (I've always had a soft spot for the Brits in Soccer/Football), is that I want them to prove themselves in a World sport, that is all.

Tune in next week when I start freaking out about my impending trip abroad with B.D. And the rules I learn as I go along in the planning and organizing of said trip. Oh and of course a RANT about the G8 and G20, this is gonna be an interesting week.

Peace and Love.

I.V








No comments:

Post a Comment